An in-ground swimming pool is a real investment. An investment that does not stop once the construction site is completed. Because the main expense of a swimming pool remains its energy and water consumption. To optimize your budget, start by knowing the consumption needs of your pool. Filtration pump, heating, other energy-consuming equipment… Find out how to calculate and optimize the consumption of your in-ground swimming pool.
HOW TO CALCULATE THE ELECTRICITY CONSUMPTION OF A SWIMMING POOL?
HOW MUCH DOES A SWIMMING POOL FILTRATION PUMP CONSUME?
The filtration pump , as its name suggests, filters the pond water to rid it of impurities. It is essential equipment for the daily maintenance of your in-ground swimming pool. But that can quickly increase the amount of your bill. To make your budget, use the following formula:
Running time (hours) x energy consumption (kW) x price per kWh (€)
To begin with, estimate how long the filter pump will run by multiplying the number of days of use per year by the number of hours per day. If you use your pool 180 days a year and the pump runs 10 hours a day, you get 180 days x 10 hours or 1,800 hours (around 12 noon during the hottest months while 8 hours may be enough in spring and summer. ‘fall) .
Once this data is obtained, all you have to do is refer to the energy consumption in kW of your pump. If it consumes 0.75 kWh, the power consumption will be 900 kW. In short, your swimming pool pump consumes 1350 kW of energy over 180 days. To establish your budget , multiply this energy consumption by the cost per kWh. This varies depending on your electricity supplier. With an average price per kWh of € 0.156 in 2020, the energy consumption of the filtration pump represents 1350 kW x € 0.156, i.e. an annual budget of around € 210 .
HOW MUCH DOES THE HEATING OF A SWIMMING POOL CONSUME?
It is not compulsory to heat your in-ground swimming pool. But depending on the season, the region and the frequency of use of the basin, it is sometimes necessary. Your budget will depend on the type of heat pump , the heating period and the area to be heated. As an indication, the average daily cost of a heat pump is estimated at between 1 and 2 €, the average estimates converge to assess the annual consumption linked to the heat pump at 1,500 kW per year. So count around € 234 based on the average price per kWh of € 0.156.
Note that electric heaters and oil heaters cost 3 to 4 times more expensive than the standard heat pump. Using a propane heater is 5 times more expensive, with an average budget of € 1,000 for 5 months. More and more widespread, solar pool heaters are the most economical solutions – but also ecological.
You can also reduce the consumption of your heat pump by installing equipment to maintain the temperature of the water in your swimming pool, such as a shelter, a shutter or even a solar bubble cover. You thus avoid temperature losses and optimize the use of your heat pump.
DO NOT FORGET THE OTHER EQUIPMENT OF YOUR IN-GROUND SWIMMING POOL
Of course, the more equipment you add, the more electricity your pool will be consuming. Be aware of the energy consumption of lighting, nozzles or even electric cleaning robots.
WHAT IS THE WATER CONSUMPTION OF AN IN-GROUND SWIMMING POOL?
After the consumption of energy , up to the consumption of water . This depends primarily on the size of the pool. Let us take the example of a swimming pool of 8 × 4 m , or 32 m², for a depth of 1.20 M, the volume of water required is 32 * 1.20 or 38.40 m 3 . If we apply this volume at an average price of 4 € / m 3 , we obtain a filling cost of 154 €. However, this is not an annual budget because you do not fully fill your in-ground pool every year. On average, 20% of the water is renewed per year(large potential differences linked to the region for evaporation, the type of use and the number of bathers (splashing) or the wintering solution chosen…) Or an annual water budget of around € 31.
HOW TO OPTIMIZE THE CONSUMPTION OF YOUR SWIMMING POOL?
HOW TO OPTIMIZE THE ENERGY CONSUMPTION OF YOUR SWIMMING POOL?
First, choose a pool pump with the right flow rate for the volume of water. A professional can advise you in your choice. Note that there are also variable speed pumps to adapt your energy consumption . Beyond the choice of equipment, a few tips can help you save money :
- Compare the price per kWh between electricity suppliers. The price differences can be significant and you are entitled to change energy supplier whenever you want, free of charge!
- Choose the right duration of filtration of the basin . Generally, it is recommended to divide the desired water temperature by two to obtain the daily filtration time in hours. If you want to bathe in water at 28 °, you will need to filter the water for 14 hours per day of use.
- Stop the pump in winter so as not to filter the pool water unnecessarily. This does not mean, however, that the basin should not be maintained.
HOW TO OPTIMIZE THE WATER CONSUMPTION OF YOUR SWIMMING POOL?
Take the right actions to optimize your pond’s water consumption :
- Take the time to choose your filter wisely , between sand filter and cartridge filter. More efficient, the cartridge filter saves more water than the sand model. There is also a ductless filtration system which reduces the risk of leaks.
- Wash your pool filter once every two weeks to ensure optimal water quality. An optimized filtration system is a system that reduces water loss .
- Take into account the precipitation in your area . If you generally prefer the sun to the rain to make the most of your in-ground swimming pool , the precipitation nevertheless ensures a natural filling of the basin. And that’s all savings on your water bill! In return, it will be necessary to be particularly vigilant in terms of maintenance because the rain can leave deposits of impurities at the bottom of the water.
- Use a pool cover to reduce water evaporation and therefore fill your pool less frequently.
- The heating of the pool also affects the evaporation and water consumption.
- By winterizing your pool and stopping filtration between November and March , you also save your pool water.
DISCOVER THE MAGILINE IMAGI-X SOLUTION
With its intelligent iMAGI-X solution , Magiline helps you optimize the energy and water consumption of your in-ground swimming pool . Thanks to an innovative automatic filtration management system, you benefit from an intelligent treatment of the water in your pond and above all more economical. Benefit from a water flow 3 times more important compared to a traditional filtration while optimizing the filtration times to adapt in an intelligent way to the climatic conditions and to the use of the basin. An exclusive innovation from Magiline Pools.